Objective of this Division
To provide expertise and services to litigation and arbitration on legal matters on behalf of the Government
The Division have the following functions:-
- To provide advice to the Government on litigation of civil matters.
- To supervise the conduct of civil cases instituted against the Government within and outside Tanzania.
- To vet and review all draft documents concerning civil cases filed or to be filed in courts of law and tribunals.
- To prepare and institute suits/claims in the High Court, Court of Appeal and arbitral Tribunals on behalf of the Government.
- To provide legal expertise to the Government, on the preparation, formulation and litigation of civil cases.
- To conduct or supervise arbitration proceedings on behalf of the Government.
The Division is led by a Director and comprise of two Sections as follows:-
- Civil Litigation Section
- Arbitration Section
Civil Litigation Section
The Section performs the following activities:-
- Conduct litigations in courts.
- Institute suits and formulate written statements of defence.
- Prepare counter affidavits and/or Affidavits in civil proceedings by or against the Government or in proceedings where the Government has an interest.
- Advise the Government on all civil matters.
- Conduct research on civil matters.
- File and argue civil appeals in Court of Appeal of Tanzania.
This section is led by an Assistant Director.
The section performs the following activities:-
- Conduct arbitrations by or against the Government in arbitral bodies both within and outside Tanzania.
- Institute arbitrations and formulate defence to arbitral claims filed against the government or to claims which the government has interest.
- Prepare affidavits and or counter Affidavits in applications that arise in the course of Arbitrations by or against the Government.
- Advice the Government and other public institutions on matters relating to arbitrations.
- Conduct research on arbitration matters.
- Argue applications in the High Court relating to registration of arbitral Awards involving the Government.
- Provide legal consultation to MDAs, LGAs and the general public on arbitrations.
The Arbitration Section is led by an Assistant Director.